Common Questions

Where can I apply for a permit? 

  • Permit applications may be submitted online via email to, in person, or via mail at 811 Main Street, Buckley, WA 98321 

Do I have to make an appointment with the Permit Counter staff to ask questions? 

  • No, Permit Counter staff is available by phone or in person 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Thursday. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss a permit, please get in touch with the Permit Counter staff at (360) 761-7810 to make an appointment. 

Multi-Purpose Center 
811 Main Street 
P.O. Box 1960  
Buckley, WA  98321 

Monday to Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 


What are the fees for a permit? 

  • Fees depend on the type and scope of work. Fees for various permits can be found in the City’s Master Fee Schedule. Total fees for a project will be calculated at the time a permit application is submitted. Contact the Permit Counter staff at (360) 761-7810 for more information. 

When do I need a building permit? 

  • The International Building Code adopted by the City requires that you get a permit before doing any: 

  • A. Construction, enlargement, alteration, repair, movement, demolition, or changing the occupancy of any building or structure; and 

  • B. Installation, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal, conversion, or replacement of any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system. 

  • Some exceptions to this rule include: 

  • One-story detached residential accessory buildings used as a storage or tool shed, playhouse, or similar use. They must be 120 square feet or less in size, no taller than 10 feet, and must be placed on the rear half of a lot with at least a three-foot setback from the side and rear property lines. 

  • Interior movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5’9″ high. 

  • Retaining walls and rockeries no more than four feet tall. Please call the Permit Center to ensure that permits are not needed. 

  • Platforms, decks, walks, and driveways – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (360) 761-7810. 

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work. 

  • Residential window awnings – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (360) 761-7810. 

  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings. 

  • Prefabricated residential swimming pools – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (360) 761-7810. 

  • Fences that comply with the Buckley Municipal Code (see below) 

Do I need a permit for a shed? 

  • Non-vehicular storage structures less than one hundred twenty (120) square feet and less than ten (10) feet in height, when placed on the property where the owner resides, do not require a building permit or zoning certification.  

Do I need a permit for a patio cover or carport? 

  • Yes, you must obtain a building permit, and setbacks from the property line must be observed. 

Do I need a permit for a fence? 

  • Fences less than or equal to six (6) feet in height and not obstructing the clear line of vision of vehicular traffic approaching the location from any street or driveway do not require a permit. 

  • Fences greater than four (4) feet in height are not typically allowed within the front yard setback

  • Fences greater than six (6) feet in height will require a variance. 

  • Fences greater than seven (7) feet in height require a variance, meet applicable setback standards, and require a building permit. 

Do I need a permit for a water heater, and does it require an inspection? 

  • Yes, whether you are installing a new type of water heater or replacing an existing one, it is required that you get a permit before the installation and follow through with an inspection.