Mayor Pat Johnson was elected to office in 2006 and is currently serving her fourth term. Mayor Johnson's term expires December 31, 2021.
The Mayor is the chief executive and administrative officer of the City and serves as the official and ceremonial head of the City on ceremonial occasions. Functions of the Mayor include:
- Being in charge of all departments and employees.
- Directing the preparation of, and submits to the Council a proposed yearly budget.
- Exercising the power to veto ordinances passed by the Council (such veto may be overridden by vote of a majority of all Councilmembers plus one more vote).
- Making recommendations for Council consideration and action.
- Presiding over all meetings of the City Council (Mayor only has a vote in the case of a tie, except in the case of passage of any ordinance, grant, or revocation of franchise or license, or any resolution for the payment of money).
- Reporting to the City Council concerning affairs of the City and its financial and other needs.
Mayor Johnson serves on and/or represents the City of Buckley on the following Regional Committees, Boards, & Groups:
- Association of Washington Cities (AWC) President ( AWC Press Release )
- AWC Small Cities Advisory Board
- AWC Education Committee
- Tacoma Pierce County Board of Health
- Pierce County Cities and Towns Association
- Alternate Board Member Pierce County Regional Council
- Foothills Rails to Trails Coalition Board of Directors
- White River Families First Coalition
- Buckley Chamber of Commerce
History of the Mayor's Office