- Pierce County Emergency Management
- Winter Wise Get Ready for Winter Weather
- Take Winter by Storm More Tips for Winter Weather
- Sign up for Pierce County Alert
Pierce County ALERT is a free service that allows you to sign up and receive notifications about emergencies that may affect the locations you care about. This service allows fire, police and other agencies dealing with emergency response to send out accurate and up-to-date information that they feel residents should be informed on.
Be Prepared for Stormy Conditions
The City of Buckley encourages residents and businesses to prepare for severe weather. Please consider the tips below. To stay updated on northwest weather conditions, visit www.weather.gov/sew.
City crews work to keep storm drains clear but with over 1800 drains in Buckley, we could use your help.
How You Can Help
- Check storm drain grates frequently to make sure they are free of leaves and debris;
- Rake leaves away from storm drains near your house or business;
- Do not remove the grate from the storm drain opening; and
- Dispose of leaves in your yard waste container or compost bin, please don’t blow or rake them into the roadway.
With your assistance, we can keep streets safe and clear and can reduce property damage caused by flooding. Your help is appreciated and makes a difference! Thank you.
Downed Power Lines – Stay Clear, Stay Safe
If there’s a power outage, remember to use alternative heat sources safely and wisely. Follow manufacturers’ instructions. Adequately vent fueled space heaters (e.g., kerosene, propane, alcohol) to avoid fatal carbon monoxide gas buildup. Also, do not use outdoor grills or camp stoves indoors as they may cause carbon monoxide poisoning. To report a power outage, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.
Additional preparedness tips:
- Call 9-1-1 only for life-threatening emergencies.
- Have your flashlights ready and cell phone charged.
- Do not walk or wade in flooded areas.
- Do not attempt to drive through standing water as your vehicle may stall.
- Watch for “Street Closed” signs. They are placed by crews for your safety.
- Listen to your radio or television for storm forecasts and other information.
- If you are caught in your building by rapidly rising waters, call 911 for help. Then move to a higher floor or to the roof. Take weatherproof clothing, a flashlight, a cell phone, and a portable radio.
- Check on your disaster preparedness kit to ensure it contains food, light sticks, water, flashlights, a battery-powered radio and a wind-up clock.
- Be a good neighbor. Find out if your neighbor needs any assistance with clearing storm drains or with any additional tasks.
- Read general flood information at www.ready.gov/floods.
For Local Assistance and Information
- City of Buckley Website: http://www.cityofbuckley.com/emergencypreparedness. For additional local information & updates “Like Us” on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/buckleywashington
- Buckley Residents: To Report Severe Flooding: If localized flooding is severe and you are unable to clear the drain, please call Buckley Public Works at 360-829-1631 during business hours or after hours call 253-261-9827.
- Buckley Residents: To Report Hazardous Road Conditions: To report hazardous road conditions during business hours call Buckley Public Works at 360-829-1631 or after hours call Public Works at 253-261-9827.